Re: VFS ROADMAP (and vfs01.patch stage 1 available for testing)

From: Barry Pederson <bp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:08:07 -0500

Matthew Dillon wrote:

It is my intention to allow system resources to be partitioned off so
your workstation could be a standalone box but also provide resources
(such as a disk partition, memory, cpu, and networking services) to
a cluster, or to several clusters.

After reading this description, it struck me that this sounds kind of like a jail ... a multi-machine jail.

Or...if clusters are separated enough from the machines they're running on, could you perhaps turn it around and get jail functionality for free with a cluster defined on just one machine?

Or is that kind of thinking way off base of the vision? Either way, what you describe sounds terribly cool.

Barry