Re: intr 11 "livelocked"

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:30:28 -0700 (PDT)

:I'm installing 1.0A_REL on a dell latitude and getting a message from the
:kernel that I don't understand:
:
:intr 11 at 87302 hz, livelocked! limiting at 20000 hz
:
:(very) shortly afterward, I get another message:
:
:intr 11 at 51 hz, removing livelock limit
:
:and then the loop begins again. the exact two numbers vary but are always close
:to that range. there is enough delay in these message to see the screen they
:come out on for about 2 or 3 seconds.
:
:the machine is a pentium II 366 with some extra ram (512 meg) and a WPC11v3
:wireless card (works with wi0).
:
:i'll take a look into it myself when the source is done downloading but if
:anyone has any ideas / places to start looking it would be much appreciated =)
:
:Thanks,
:
:-tom

    Check to see what is running on intr 11 (from your dmesg output).  The
    most common cause is a wireless card.  The wireless drivers seem to do
    terrible things when the wireless card is inserted or pulled, but the
    livelock is not usually persistent.  From your description your livelock
    seems to be more persistent, so there could be another cause.  Other
    possibilities include the interrupt getting misrouted... turning off
    ACPI might help there.

    I would also recommend compiling up and installing the latest kernel,
    or pulling it (and its associated modules) off a more recent SNAPshot
    CD, just to see if that helps.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>