Re: Slow logins with ssh

From: Walter Venable <weaseal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:05:49 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:I upgraded my system recently to DFly 1.1-CURRENT (Aug 24th). It was :previously 1.1-CURRENT from about July 22nd. Since I have upgraded, I :have been experiencing slow logins with ssh...When I try to connect, it :takes a good 60 seconds to make the connection. However, once the :connection is made, everything goes nice and quick. Is there something :I can take a look at to resolve this?
:
:Walter Venable

    Hmm.  60 seconds probably rules out a network protocol issue.  It
    sounds like a reverse DNS issue.  If the target system's sshd is unable
    to resolve the IP address of the originator it could take up to 60
    seconds for it to give up.

This is easy to test. On the target system try to do a reverse dns
lookup of the other end's IP with 'nslookup'.

e.g. nslookup 216.240.41.2 would return :

2.41.240.216.in-addr.arpa name = apollo.backplane.com.

    If it is a reverse dns problem then it's probably your resolver or
    something along those lines that has a configuration issue.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Looks like this is the issue. Thanks for the input. I'd been messing with my DNS server the other day and one little typo...

Anyway, thanks!