Re: Wireless AP troubles

From: Walter Venable <weaseal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:54:24 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    If you are trying to bridge two interfaces on the same logical network,
    you generally only want to have one IP address within that logical
    network space.  So I would recommend that you NOT assign an IP
    address to one of the interfaces.  Since wireless interfaces are
    fairly sensitive to IP address assignments, I would try not assigning
    an IP address to your DC1 interface.

-Matt

Thanks for the input. I tried your suggestion of assigning only an IP to the wireless card and not one to DC1. Now the wireless works fine, however the wired does not (this is essentially the same problem as before, just that the problems exist for the wired clients and not the wireless ones)! Wired clients get no DHCP-assigned IP (and manually assigning one does not help), no ability to ping other clients, no ability to ping the server (exception: when 2 clients have manually assigned IPs, they can ping each other, as usual).

This must be a problem in bridging, it is the only thing I can see that would cause this, however my expertise is not of a level adequate to decide if this is a PEBCAK error on my part, or something internal to DFly. I posted my sysctl variables regarding bridging earlier in this thread.

Is there any information from my machine that I could provide to help track down a solution?

-Walter Venable