Re: Scheduler question

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:41:43 +0200

-On [20040906 17:32], walt (wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>Matt has expressed some dissatisfaction with the current scheduler,

I'll gladly attach my sentiment to that.

>so I was interested to find some very enthusiastic reactions in the
>lkml to Con Kolivas's new staircase scheduler for linux.  It was
>described as not only very effective but also as 'simple' in
>design.  (See the 'Scheduler experiences' thread in lkml, 05Sep.)

I think that any typical scheduler such as present in either Linux or BSD
might not be fully optimal for DF given how we are switching major
subsystems to non-typical Unix ways of doing these.  It might be better to
check out microkernels and see how they also do this.

Of course, I could be totally off base, as happens from time to time (or was
that almost all the time?), and then my above statement is at value void.

Btw Matt, I am getting insane from the intr 5 livelocked! livelock removed
messages.  It floods my vty0.  intr 5 is my audigy and typically scores
around 80000-85000 Hz and drops back to 8000 Hz and up and down and up and
. ..

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://www.tibet.nu/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
To the dull mind nature is leaden. To the illumined mind the whole world
burns and sparkles with light...