Re: VM improvements & design

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:17:28 -0700 (PDT)

:Any planned rework of the VM? As I'm working on KGI,
:I discover that the VM of FreeBSD is very oriented for
:the paging policy.
:
:I wonder if dfly plans any rework of the VM that KGI could
:take benefit of to implement a totally different
:policy regarding faulting, page allocation and distribution
:of memory in alternative types of RAM: aperture, VRAM, RAM, disk...
:
:Thx!
:
:--
:KGI: http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/kgi4BSD

    Well, I don't intend to do rewrite the algorithms because I think they
    are actually pretty good, but I do think that it is possible to
    significantly cleanup the VM pagers API (which is what something like
    KGI would have to tie into).   Some work will also eventually be done
    to better support the page-level I/O interface.  I don't plan on doing
    any of this soon, though.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>