Re: Timers (was Trivial pc-speaker problem.)

From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:51:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     You might remember that FreeBSD has issues with regards to losing track
>     of time when a fast 'hz' frequency is selected.

  Actually, I've never used FreeBSD, so no.

  Thanks for the long answer.  But I don't get where hz comes from.  It's
obviously not timer <not 0> then.  (And 18.2 Hz might be a bit slow.)

  So is the "hz tick" just another event that timer 0 checks (and sets up
an interval) for then?

 (And is then timer <not 0> used to calculate how many cycles there are to
go until the next tick?  (Since timer 0 is "unsuitable for keeping track
of ''real'' time") )

  This stuff is interesting, had to think for a bit too.  Thanks again.

Magnus