Re: uplcom(4) problem

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Oct 2004 05:35:46 GMT
Brian Reichert wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:38:28AM +0000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>> The phone/internet company supplies a cable with that phone, which
>> only connects to a serial (9-pin RS232) port, which my computer
>> doesn't have.  So I bought a USB-to-serial connector, a noname chinese
>> thing based on the Prolific PL-2303, both linux and DragonFly
>> recognise it and configure a serial port (under DF it's the uplcom
>> driver and the device is /dev/ucom0).
>
>If you can get this phone to work with that cable under with gammu,
>or gnokii, then you'll be in luck.  If, however, for example, it's
>a Nokia phone making use of one of their proprietory cables, then
>you may be screwed.

Clarification: it's not a mobile (cell) phone, it's a "fixed wireless"
phone (LG LSP-345).  Like a landline, except it's wireless and
portable inside the city.  I don't think the cable is the issue: it
connects to a regular modem via a serial port and, if my computer had
a serial port, would require no special drivers under either windows
or linux, presumably not under DFly either.  The issue I believe is the
USB-to-serial driver.

Rahul