Re: ATA timeout issues

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:46:51 -0700 (PDT)

:Cool.  Well, I tried it last night, and after detecting the drive, the
:system seemed to time out and then fail, asking me for a device to mount as
:the root partition.  I was going to copy the source for the kernel, patch
:it, and rebuild, but if that is not the problem, I won't bother.
:
:Let me know what else I can do to help, such as giving any interrupt info
:from my running FreeBSD system.
:
:I guess what I don't get is why there is a difference between the two?
:
:jm

    Neither do I.

    In anycase, it might be helpful to get the whole and complete dmesg
    output from your FreeBSD system but to be truely useful we would also
    need the whole and complete dmesg output from DragonFly too.  If you have
    a CD-R in the laptop that can boot, you can get that by booting the
    DragonFly CD... but we really need the whole output.  To get it off your
    machine you would need to get the network up and running, or write it
    out to a USB memory stick or something like that.  Theoretically you
    could also mount one of the FreeBSD filesystems (like /tmp) from the
    DragonFly CD and write the dmesg output there, then reboot back into
    FreeBSD and email it :-)

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>