Re: New debug kernel installation mechanism committed to HEAD

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:58:39 -0700 (PDT)

: (Greg)
:Yes, the FreeBSD guys (not me) have made considerable progress with
:of gdb 6.x) things are a bit of a jumble.  In many cases it's possible
:for the symbols to load automatically without user intervention; I
:think this is the case for those lucky enough to be able to get a
:processor dump (currently 'panic' in ddb doesn't work; use 'call
:doadump' to get a dump).
:> Check Greg's various gdb setup files:
:> /usr/src/sys/dev/raid/vinum/.gdbinit*
:This is a little out of date.  Now more generic scripts are in
:/usr/src/tools/debugscripts.  You should be able to go to the kernel
:build directory (typically something like /usr/obj/usr/src/GENERIC)
:Karlsruhe on Friday.  After that, I'll release the course notes
:(hopefully with corrections).

    Thanks for responding, Greg!  Joerg is in the midst of a number of
    gdb-related items too.  Now that we know where to look I expect we
    will be able to integrate something in.