Re: Kernel panic/dump: ffs_valloc (dup alloc) + request for a leaf account

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:08:40 -0800 (PST)

:Hi,
:
:I finally had the change to generate a panic on my box and dump it. It seems
:the problem is in ffs_valloc. I saw several other "dup alloc" and "invalid
:pages" come by before, but they never caused a panic.
:
:The panic occures after doing "heavy" fileio. A checkout of the source tree
:(by doing a cvsup for the first time) caused this panic. I saw it several
:times before, but never had the chance to investivate further.
:
:(Relevant) information about the box is running:
:Abit BP6 (smp, 2x celeron 500)
:128MB ram
:
:Running a stable kernel (stable-iso of yesterday, 26-1-2005), UP, NOT MP!
:
:I'd rather not rape my upstream by putting the core on my own webserver.
:Eirik Nygaard suggested I asked for an account on leaf and put the core
:there.
:
:Regards,
:
:Steven Looman

    Send me private email with your public ssh key and desired username
    and I'll create you a leaf account.

    The problem is unfortunately not ffs_valloc() itself, but something
    that occurs before-hand.  ffs_valloc() then trips over the problem.

    Please post your /var/run/dmesg.boot output too.

    How reproducable is the problem?  How often do you get it and do you
    get other panics as well?  The more precise the information the more
    helpful it is :-)

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>