Re: approach on getting nullfs to work again

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:52:37 +0100

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:38:15PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :okay. this means all vop calls that don't work with struct namecache *=20
> :parameters just get passed through to the underlying filesystem and all vop=
> :=20
> :calls that cope with struct namecache * need to wrap, grab the "real"=20
> :namecache entry and pass it down?
>
>     VOP calls, yes.  VFS calls (as Joerg indicates, fstatfs) might be a
>     different matter, but even there the best solution might actually be
>     a high level kernel solution ('gee this path is going through a nullfs
>     mount') rather then a low level VFS solution.  It could be just a matter
>     of adding an ncp argument to the VFS op in question.

What happens if we use the namecache entry in fp->f_data and follow that
to the actual vnode before VOP calls? Even including a namecache entry
directly in f_data and setting it to NULL for sockets?

>     In fact, *ALL* VOP or VFS ops that specify a file path have the same
>     ability to distinguish between namespaces as VOP ops that pass namecache
>     pointers, because path ops will also have access to the related namecache
>     pointer.

Yeah, so we would want to convert the VFS calls to get a namecache entry
as well. If we have that, I don't have any problems with using the vnodes
directly.

Joerg