Re: phk malloc, was (Re: ptmalloc2)

From: Eduardo Tongson <propolice@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:56:01 +0000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:14:56 +0800, David Xu <davidxu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You will have an unusable machine if you turn on overcommit,
> when memory is about to be exhausted, any code not written by you
> will crash because they don't check if malloc will fail!

probably the reason for the description for the vm.overcommit_memory sysctl
1       -       Always overcommit. Appropriate for some scientific

Quite OT but I found the original announcement for the overcommit accounting
which gives a bit of background of its purpose.

> Any program and system utilities will core dump or be locked there
> if memory is exhausted, in the machine, your code only occupies
> 1/10000 or less, making 1/10000 code to be overcommit aware does not
> make sense.
> Regards,
> David Xu

Eduardo Tongson
Key fingerprint : 0A86 79BA 3EC1 4B34 0D65  0E05 F9EC 98A2 6033 AC66