Re: rc and smf

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:53:23 +0100

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:39:36AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     But anyhow, back to service failures... service failures do not always
>     end in a crash.  Take BIND for example.  It is far more likely that
>     BIND's cache will become corrupted then for BIND to actually crash.  A
>     simple 'detect that it died and restart' monitor doesn't help you there.
>     What you have to do is have a program which actually goes in and uses
>     the service for real.  e.g. for a web server a program which connects
>     to it every minute and retrieves the most complex CGI'd page it
>     serves out.  That's the sort of monitoring we need... not this simple
>     it-dies-and-we-restart stuff.  Service corruption is the far more likely
>     scenario these days.

I completely agree. IBM has a nice, extensible monitoring facility for AIX,
basically a combination of sensors and trigger rules. The concept alone
is pretty simple, but that does provide mighty tools.

I'd love to have such a daemon written in a modular way for DragonFly/BSD.
It would be something like SNMP with intelligence.

Joerg