Re: Version numbering for release DECISION!

To: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Erik P. Skaalerud" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:58:30 +0200

My vote goes on having the pre-release branch (like RELENG_X) named something completely else than -STABLE. Name it -BETA instead, that will scare away the people who wants to have STABLE in their uname because they think thats more stable than a release. They are so wrong.

A new naming scheme should rather show that a release with patchlevels is way more stable than any pre-release branch.

I have suggested this before, and IIRC Matt somehow agreed on this.

- Erik