Re: DFly Tokens

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:44:17 -0700 (PDT)

:
:Is it possible to pull in some of the same work that FreeBSD has done
:using mutex locking into DragonFlyBSD using Tokens ?  E.G. Reading
:through the status log on the web site I haven't seen anything done
:yet with the device drivers.  Is it possible to use tokens inside
:those code paths or is there already another chosen method for this ?

    Yes and no.  Yes, it is true that we could use tokens as a replacement
    for mutexes, but we don't want to do that because the issue isn't so
    much whether we have mutex support as it is the programming methodology
    we use to make code MP safe.  Our methodologies are radically different
    from FreeBSD's, on purpose (it was one of the major reasons why I started
    the DragonFly project).

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>