Re: libc changes and freebsd-4 compatible binaries

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:31:04 +0200

-On [20050503 12:22], Yury Tarasievich (grog@xxxxxxx) wrote:
>So, as I see it, the bottom line is NO, after all.

There's no way you can keep binaries working if you change the ABI.
Or there might be if you employ all kinds of dirty tricks and whatnot.

>Opera won't work (and this no mean thing), openoffice won't work (same), and
>existing collections of freebsd-4 packages become useless. Compile everything
>or die, eh? With all respect, but this is kicking people in the teeth, just
>like what IBM did in their OS/2 times.

Unfortunately such is the price of progress.
There's a trade off you have to make between advancing the goals (finally
wide character support, which was sorely needed) and keeping old stuff
working all the time.

And we already *knew* we cannot maintain eternal binary compatibility with
FreeBSD.  And there you see the exact reason why Theo de Raadt is such a
proponent of sources over binaries. ;)

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://ashemedai.deviantart.com/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
The Miracle of Love will take away your pain...