Re: Status page

From: justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 21:43:24 -0400 (EDT)

> On 5/23/05, Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>     Not status itself, but certainly within the status category we
>>     should probably have a link.  I haven't been following the wiki
>>     work recently... can anyone still make random mods or is there
>>     a review process in place ?   That's the only problem I have
>>     with it (as we saw with the spams that got into it a while
>>     back).
>>
>>                                         -Matt
>
> Random spam is always going to be a problem with open content driven
> webpage like a wiki.  I for one don't feel entirely comfortable
> linking the main website straight to the status page on the wiki.

The recent spam run that I saw happened because while only logged in users
can modify the pages, the account creation procedure is automated.  A
spammer combined the two.  If it was possible to set wiki accounts to
require human approval before enabling, that would remove that last known
"spam hole".

Of course, too much of these safeguards would lose the wiki-ness of the
wiki.  There's a number of wikis out there that get by just fine with
these issues, and I haven't seen any other spam runs on ours.