Re: Fwd: MAXSAVEDBLOCKS in netinet/tcp_sack.c

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:43:57 +0200

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:52:26PM +0200, Dunceor . wrote:
> >It's not PF, but ALTQ. ALTQ certainly support RED, it's very easy to setup.
> >PF is only used as interface for the queue setup and the tagging to decide
> >which queue discipline to use.
> >
> >Joerg
>
> Just a note, since OpenBSD 3.3 ALTQ is intigrated into ALTQ so I guess
> all later copies of PF on Free/DF should have ALTQ initgrated also.
> I think it supports RED also.
> Read more here: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/queueing.html

They are different things. Basically PF does two things for ALTQ:
(a) It provides the interface to create queues.
(b) It provides the interface to tag packets for specific queues.

That's all the interaction between PF and ALTQ. In the research
implementation of ALTQ, it was possible to do the matching
directly in ALTQ too, but I didn't include that code because it is
very messy and clearly doesn't belong there.

Joerg