severe pkgsrc system usage

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:42:32 +0200

hey,

just installing all pkgs new and I am noticing a real high system usage when compiling with pkgsrc. Plus because of this compilation is dog slow.

I think this is because of libtool->pkgsrc toolchain wrapper (lots of stuff)->objformat->cc (finally!)

we need to find a way to speed this up. This is a Duron 1200 with 384MB RAM, so not too shabby.

So either we can find out what exactly is slowing the stuff down and fix it in kernel or we need to tweak on the toolchain. Having a package build system which is so MUCH slower than ports won't make us new friends.

Ideas somebody?

cheers
  simon

Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /