Re: final thoughts - bug tracking system

To: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:58:55 +0200

Chris Pressey wrote:

This doesn't change the fact that JIRA is closed-source.

Does anyone (besides me) have objections to this on principle (rather
than on a pragmatic basis)?

What kind of message does it send about DragonFly's commitment to
open-source, for example?  Isn't it kind of like saying to our fellow
volunteers on projects such as Bugzilla and Trac: "Well thanks for
giving back to the community, guys, but in the end we'd rather help
improve a closed commercial product than help you improve yours" ?

Open source is not a crusade. Even if we follow that metaphore, the DragonflyBSD project cannot fight on every front. As Bugzilla's future doesn't rest on DFBSD, and bug tracking system can be such a drain of valuable energy, the most task-adequate bug tracking system should be picked. Energy should be concentrated on what makes DFBSD unique. Only this way does it bring the most to the OSS comunity.

The company behind JIRA seems to be keen on attracting opensource projects by making sure JIRA is not a prison. Of course, you would still have hurdles in case of a switch. But you get the same with all other bugtracking systems. JIRA doesn't make it worst.

JIRA is a good choice

best regards

Raphael