Re: Roadmap to release?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:27:51 -0800 (PST)

:I see there is work being done on pkgsrc integration and Matt's work on
:interrupt routing.
:
:Is there a Release Engineering roadmap for the tasks to be done?
:
:jm

    Getting pkgsrc integrated is one of the main goals of this release.
    I would like to see cvsup working as a pkgsrc package, as well.  I
    do not want to change the distribution mechanisms for this release.

    My personal goal for this release is actually not so much interrupt
    routing as it is getting more kernel threads free of the Big Giant Lock.
    I believe that coupled with some scheduler tweaks will 'fix' the issues
    reported with FTP bandwidth over a GigE LAN connection being all over
    the map.

    The interrupt routing work is basically to get my two SMP test boxes
    working well enough so I can actually test SMP stuff with them, and
    to provide additional knobs for the release CD (such as the Emergency
    Interrupt Polling mode) that developers can use to get DragonFly
    operational on otherwise broken hardware.

    ACPI-based interrupt routing is definitely not going to get done before
    the release.  At this point I've pretty much gone as far as I can go
    with the MPTable considering how broken it is on these boxes.  But at
    least I finally got PIC mode to work with SMP.

    Since the LWP coding has slacked off a bit, and since I now have two
    working SMP test boxes plus two production boxes, I am going to return to
    the MP work.  Getting tsleep/wakeup MP-safe is next on the list,
    followed by network queueing and network interrupt handlers (now that
    INTR_MPSAFE actually works).

    Overall I am quite happy with the progress we've made over the last
    6 months.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>