Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf options.i386 src/sys/i386/i386 initcpu.c

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:38:13 +0000

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:> At the moment the fix requires specifying a cpu option in your kernel config:
:> :> options CPU_AMD64X2_INTR_SPAM
:what happens when I add this option to a non-shuttlepc/amd x2 box kernel?

    Bad things happen.  It doesn't yet check that the cpu id is correct.
    I will do that, as soon as I figure out the range of cpu IDs involved.

We should implement a quirk-based system, as done for other device subsystems
like USB, SCSI etc. Such a quirk based system will remove the neccessity of these
kind of arbitrary kernel options.

Sure, it might take a little longer at boot time but its dynamic and saves users
trouble *first time round*.

Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya