Re: Plans for 1.5

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:41:58 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
<cut>

			     STAGE 3 - ZFS PORT
			  Starting March or April!

    I am really quite impressed with Sun's ZFS.  People wishing to look at
    the Sun ZFS code can find it on LEAF in the OpenSolaris source tree:

cd /archive/OpenSolaris-20051207/usr/src/

	    common/zfs
	    uts/common/fs/zfs
	    uts/sparc/zfs
	    uts/intel/zfs
	    cmd/fs.d/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/common/modules/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/intel/ia32/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/intel/amd64/zfs
	    cmd/mdb/sparc/v9/zfs
	    cmd/zfs

    I have perused the ZFS code and I am impressed.  Very impressed!  It is
    well documented, nicely modular, and easy to read.

I am tentatively scheduling the port for March. It may occur sooner or
later then that (hopefully sooner), but I just don't know how hard STAGE 2 is going to be.

I really want to start the port immediately, but I think I am really going to need userland VFS working for such a port to be able to proceed
at a good clip.

Very exciting stuff indeed, as I read through the documentation and watched the demos on http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/ I become curious how you are going to implement the NFSv4 like ACL scheme?
Also I am a bit confused in how deeply you planned to use ZFS.
Is this like only root in UFS and the rest in ZFS? How about swap?

--
mph