Re: cowloop technology

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:18:49 -0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     A devfs is not going to impact performance.  That isn't the problem
>     with it.  There are three problems with it.
[...]

>  ...I think all you need is to have base names in a special
>     filesystem or filesystem overlay and a VFS layer which parses the name
>     out and accesses the correct device with the correct parameters.

Just wondering if you are familiar with the linux replacement for
devfs, udev (the 'u' stands for 'userspace') combined with 'hotplug'.

I find that the combination works very well, but I can't even begin
to understand all the stuff in /etc/udev and /etc/hotplug!

Does your contemplated solution assume much/any understanding of
hardware by the end-user?