Re: code bounties for DragonFly ?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:44:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, January 26, 2006 9:21 am, David Rhodus wrote:
> I was hoping that something such as a bounty system might feed some
> life back into the project.  Most of the development work has slowed
> down to almost nothing.  I'm not sure some development work will ever
> be finished without some incentive.  Yes, doing to work is a great
> resume builder, blah blah blah, etc... But the reality is that most
> people still have to work purely for economic reasons.  Why not merge
> two incentives into one.  Though not that any amount DragonFly could
> be raised would be equivalent to paying real world developer rates it
> still might make doing to work more appealing.

Development has been somewhat slow, but I think that's in part because we
went too long between releases, and some of the more interesting features
are on hold until the subsystems are done.  (Live CD with a desktop is
dependent on compressed filesystems and pkgsrc, neither of which is
complete, for instance.)

Some people here stopped working on FreeBSD projects because they were
stung by misallocation; so it is a dangerous issue.  However, some
approaches could have some value.  For instance, if I could find another
IBM 600E laptop that is the exact same submodel as the one I have, I'd
gladly buy another and send it to someone who was willing and able to get
the PCMCIA controller, APCI, sound, etc. supported.  Hoever, I don't know
how useful that would be in the long run, and I haven't found another
unit.