sysmouse/tty weirdness

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:34:37 +0100

hey,

i'm running into more and more weird things: this time it's sysmouse. I wondered why X (working with an updated version of the free nv driver) didn't do the scrollwheel game.

Turns out that /dev/sysmouse is sending bullshit: Unsynced frames, sometimes one byte too much, sometimes some bytes too few, short reads and zero reads. No mouse click data at all (dunno if that used to work). hd /dev/sysmouse *should* display a constant stream when moving the mouse, but it aborts and the data is bogus. It has been verified that it occurs at at least one different system.

Output can be debugged with <http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/~corecode/unsorted/showmouse.c>

It *is* sysmouse, because the mouse data correctly arrives at syscons/console mouse. I suspect there is some bug in the tty code, but even a kernel from 2005-10-11 didn't show correct behaviour. I suspect it to have something to do with tty handling, but I got too few time to debug in-depth at the moment.

I wonder why this worked before at all? Maybe some race condition which didn't show up with the slower processor before.

Clues?

cheers
  simon