Re: Cache coherency, clustering, and Kernel virtualization

From: Steven Smith <ssmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:10:30 +0100

> :And why reinvent the wheel? Xen is providing exactly that -- light
> :weight virtualisation similiar to what IBM provided in hardware.
> :It has the big advantage of being proven technology and does support
> :multiple kernel already.
> :
> :Performance numbers are available as well, depending on usage pattern
> :the impact is quite low.
>     Xen is the one that runs a linux kernel as the primary OS?
Kind of.  Xen itself runs directly on the hardware in ring 0, but it
relies on a privileged operating system to provide drivers and to run
the control tools.  This is almost always Linux, but NetBSD and
FreeBSD have been used in that role in the past.  OpenSolaris is
supposed to work, as well, but I don't think Sun have released all of
the required patches yet.

> I really
>     have no desire to make DragonFly dependant on some other OS for
>     features.  And, frankly, I'm not sure I would consider Xen to be
>     contemporary to an actual native user-mode kernel.  They are two very
>     different beasts, with very different levels of integration.  Just
>     because it is a virtualization technology doesn't mean it is the
>     right virtualization technology for us.
True.

Steven.