GCC 4.1 status

From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:18:48 +0100

Hi,

because some people have asked about this in the past, here's the current status of GCC 4.1 support:

- Building world & kernel works with CCVER=gcc41.

- sephe has provided a patch that imports GCC 4.1's crtstuff.c. It can be found at http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/crtstuff2.diff. It fixes issues with static binaries and makes __constructor work (for ifconfig(8) e.g.).

- After applying this patch, a 4.1 world can be installed and will work except for C++ stuff which has problems with GCC 4.1's libstdc++.so.9 (some 'Unknown symbol ""' error, don't remember exactly). This issue hasn't been fixed so far but it seems to be the last (?) major issue with world.

- Regarding running a 4.1 kernel: The last time I tried this it immediately crashed at the very beginning. But it was before sephe's patch, so I don't know if that changed anything.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx