Re: Lockless algorithms [was Re: splxxx replacements?]

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:04:50 +0100

.fr> <69304d110611180302g38a24cf0kbda073a3fba7010d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 2006-11-18 12:02, Antonio Vargas wrote:
> On 11/18/06, talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Bill Huey (hui) <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > There are patent issues and the GPL license, but this is just too powerful an
>> > algorithm to ignore. In many way, this brings out the ultimate in what shared
>> > memory system can do.
>>

>> Without entering such troll subjects, the patent issue completely kills using
>> RCU outside of Linux. RCU is patented IBM with special licence to use in Linux
>> only, as far as i remember. Due to the history of IBM  it would be suicidal
>
> Linux-only doesn't exist per-se, since linux is GPL and any GPL code
> can be remixed without problems. So, the question would be if it's ok
> to remix GPL with DFBSD license (which probably doesn't)

Well, there is a difference between copyright-law and patent-law. The
code is protected by GPL (which is not compatible with BSD-licenses, and
I doubt that we'll ever see any GPL in the kernel). The algorithm (or
technique or whatever) is protected by a patent and you need a special
license to use it, which, as far as I know, IBM have not given to anyone
but Linux.

--
Erik Wikström