[no subject]

9c3d6c674e42@mail.gmail.com>
From: Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net>
Subject: Re: ifconfig on re0 panics Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 with RealTek 8101E chipset
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:08:30 -0500
BestServHost: crater.dragonflybsd.org
Sender: kernel-errors@crater.dragonflybsd.org

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:51:18PM +0800, Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net> wrote:

> >> Pinging outside your LAN introduces so many other variables that the
> >> results can't be used to point to re(4); please test only on your LAN to
> >> eliminate most of the other variables. E.g., use ttcp or iperf to test
> >> performance/loss.
> >
> >I couldn't get ttcp or iperf on the LAN only to exhibit this problem.
> >
> >From a discussion on one of the FreeBSD mailing lists this seems to be
> >an issue with re(4) TX checksum hardware offloading.
>
> Interesting, I didn't have this problem on my 8169S(PCI) and it seems
> to only plague PCIe devices.  Can you help me to do a test?
>
> on non-re(4) side:
> tcpdump -nv -i <ifcace>
>
> on your re(4) side:
> ping -n -c 1 -s 1512 <other-side>
> ping -n -c 10 -s 33 <other-side>
>
> Give me the output of the tcpdump.  Thanks

The first time I ran the first ping command it took several tens of
seconds to finish and dropped the packet.  After the first attempt
subsequent:

ping -n -c 1 -s 1512 <other-side>

worked fine.  The problem I see is intermittent though so that may not
mean much.  I can also do:

ifconfig re0 down
ifconfig re0 up

and the next: