HEADS UP - CVS surgery today

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:49:44 -0800 (PST)

    I am repo-copying /usr/src/sys/machine to /usr/src/sys/platform and
    changing the kernel config file options.

    This change basically reverts the changes I had made to MACHINE back
    to their old definition (so both MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH will now be
    i386 again, instead of pc32/i386 or vkernel/i386).  I am adding a
    new 'platform' specification which will be the pc32 or vkernel.

    The name of the infrastructure directories inside /usr/src/sys/platform
    remain the same (pc32 and vkernel).

    With the reversion of MACHINE the uname sysctl hack will no longer
    be needed and will be removed.

    These changes should reduce confusion.  I'll call my attempt to change
    the meaning of MACHINE a failed experiment :-) but the platform
    separation itself was a great idea and is staying intact.

    BUILDS DONE ON HEAD TODAY MAY BREAK DUE TO THE WORK ON THESE CHANGES.
    BUILDS SHOULD WORK AGAIN NORMALLY TONIGHT OR TOMORROW MORNING.