Re: When will 1.8 be branched?

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:14:22 +0000

Petr Janda wrote:
I think you are being slightly absurd. If you want DragonFly to go into businesses/corporations you have to be prepared they *have* demands ,

But luckily there is no reason whatsoever to succumb to those demands. After all, DragonFly is not a commercial organisation where you can buy a support contract. Also, if DragonFly should 'go into businesses/corporations', I think it should solely (or largely) based on its technical merit, not adherence to a fixed schedule of branching the development tree and labeling it a release.

and they are much bigger than mine "is it gonna be branched today as planned", which i hope you do unless you want DragonFly to be a needle in a heap of sand forever. If you think that your attitude by calling me a nagging kid will attract people to this operating system, least of all businesses, then you are *dead* wrong. How would you feel If I called you a "a slow and lazy dev". If you want to be abusive you should join the Gaim club or OpenBSD, because they have plenty.

His comment didn't strike me as childish, as you could've inferred it will take longer than originally planned from various bug reports and other postings on the mailing lists. I think you just have to readjust your expectations of DragonFly, and perhaps it's better for you to go with a Linux with a support contract from one of the big vendors?

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen@netphreax.net