Re: Google SoC 2007 details

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:28:26 +0000

On 09 Mar 2007 15:47:25 GMT
Oliver Fromme <check+jen74x00rstnhrdw@fromme.com> wrote:

> Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
>  > What projects would people like to see?
>
> How about improving the journaling code?  The existing
> implementation (according to mountctl(8) and jscan(8))
> seems to be in its infancy, but hasn't seen updates for
> quite a while now (unless I missed them).

	You probably missed some (from just before the release) - a small
bug fix and implementing -D. I got an itch when I got a second Dfly box
up :)

	There is also a patch lurking in submit@ (from me 28 Jan) to make
jscan -o work. I am using mountctl, jscan along with hose and faucet to do
near real time mirroring of my home partitions between two boxes here. It
works well staging the journal to a local buffer then transferring via hose
with jscan to a remote buffer coupled with an hourly cron that uses jscan
to update a mirror from the remote buffer.

	My only gripe is that hose doesn't leave a pidfile so killing the
sender is not easy.

	I really must get round to writing a cleanout script for old
journal files :)