Re: first stab at simple mailer

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:03:12 +0100

Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
Not to discourage anyone's efforts, but there exists no such thing as a
"simple mail system". All kinds of issues always arise, and people end
up going back to what's there already, since it's a huge undertaking
getting a mailsystem that is 100% trustworthy going. And a mailsystem
have to be completely trustworthy. Especially in a BSD :-)

That's why I am writing one. Trustworthy is premier objective. And I think I got this already covered. No mail should be left behind, etc.

But those other issues, like being "friendly" to a remote system: if you send 20 mails a day, do you really have to care? Of course you should care, theoretically speaking, but practically? Let's have a look:

1. target MX is a busy system
-> so what are 20 mails on top of those 10000s being processed per day?

2. target MX is an idle system
-> sure 20 mails instead of one with multiple RCPT are a big share.  but who cares, the system is idle anyways.

Of course I don't want the mailer to be a jackass, but first get it working, then make it even better.

cheers
 simon