Re: ideas about threading lib switching

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:14:15 +0200

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Have a generic "proxy" lib called libpthread.so.0 or so, which defines the available functions and where all binaries can be linked against. This lib however does not provide any functionality. Instead, there would be some way that this lib (or rtld, or so) decides on execution time (or whenever it is being runtime linked) which real threading lib to load. Some sort of objformat, just for libs.

Okay, I got it to work. Remember: never use ld to link libs, always use gcc (gotta check our makefiles).

Basic principle of operation:

1. have a proxy.so which defines the available functions as weak references.

2. proxy lib has a constructor which performs a dlopen(), depending on an environment variable or whatever.

however, this does not work for proxy.so being opened with dlopen().

so, opinions on which way to use?

cheers
 simon