Re: Decision time.... should NATA become the default for this release?

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 01:17:21 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Matt,
:
:I have a laptop at home which doesn't work with NATA, because binaries :seemingly segfault randomly. I think several other people also have seen :similar errors. Thomas Spanjaard suspected this might be an interrupt :issue but so far has been unable to reproduce it because none of his :hardware exhibits the bug (another box I have runs fine with NATA).
:
:http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-02/msg00122.html
:
:Sascha

    Ok, it sounds like you and Sepherosa have the same issue.  Please
    report the atapci*, ata*, and ad* lines in the dmesg / console output.

Sepherosa reported:

atapci0: <Intel ICH3 ATA100 controller> port
ad0: 76319MB <Hitachi HTS541280H9AT00> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

    I'm wondering if your laptop detects the same controller.  If so it
    could simply be broken settings for that particular controller.

Well, it's not the same one. Mine identifies as "Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller". Full verbose dmesg from a kernel with old ata is here:

http://87.78.98.243/tmp/dmesg.boot

I also upgraded to latest HEAD and with NATA it now just sits there after the "start_init: trying /sbin/init" line. It's still responsive (ddb works and it outputs acpi messages, e.g.).

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx