Re: Decision time.... should NATA become the default for this release?

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:15:06 +0200

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:	Small amplification on this - the acd* devices don't work (can't
:mount them or use burncd get device not configured errors) but the
:corresponding cd* devices via atapicam work perfectly both for mounting and
:burning DVDs with cdrecord (presumably burning CDs will work too I haven't
:tried).

If you do a full system upgrade the new MAKEDEV will create the proper acd* devices. In particular, acd0 in HEAD was still running
through the disk layer which was checking the media size and preventing
burncd from being able to write. The new acd0 uses the proper minor
number to bypass the managed disk layer entirely.

Actually, I wonder why we determine the functionality by the minor and not by the device. Meaning: No CD will *ever* have partitions or MBR, right? But that's a property of the disk device. Why do we reflect this property in the minor number? Just to make it easier to follow from userland?

cheers
 simon