Re: HEADS UP! Compatibility slice will no longer point at the first BSD slice

From: "Yury Tarasievich" <yury.tarasievich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:41:27 +0300

On 17/06/07, Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@telia.com> wrote:
On 2007-06-17 11:09, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> On 17/06/07, Bill Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>> W/R going GPT-way or legacy FreeBSD way - perhaps use of zeroth should
. ..
>> I mean - with whom/what/(anything?) should DFLY try for compatibility?
> With common sense, maybe? :) Commonly, count starts from one, there's
> no such thing as 0th item (except in some subcultures, that is :).

Like the computer subculture :-) While it might not be what a person
very new to computes might expect I would think that even they can
figure out what 0 comes first of they see list of numbers like 0, 1, 2,
even Windows starts numbering from 0 sometimes. And for someone who used
. ..
Yep, computer subculture was what I meant.

Now, I'm not exactly unexperienced, but I find the constant (and
inconsistent) mixing in of the "0th count" *in "consumer-used
numberings"* (like enums of the partitions, disks, devices etc.)

If there's be going to be some major revamping of the numbering scheme
anyway, why not make it easier for the newbies?