Re: AMD64 port

From: "Noah yan" <noah.yan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:27:13 -0500

Thanks Simon.

yes, have a online repository is great. if i go
http://repo.or.cz/w/dragonfly.git, i should clone a new one, e.g.
amd64-port, from the main dfly git repository; just like what
vkernel-mp did. but after clone, how to import those changes of the
dragonfly.git to the forked repo.

On 7/4/07, Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:
[redirected to kernel@]

Noah yan wrote:
> I have a quick and offline discussion with Matt about the status of
> AMD64 port; and I am starting doing the port. My first task is to get
> the kernel source compiled for the 64-bit target. Not sure who else
> are currently or interested in working on this and we should
> coordinate on the efforts.

very cool! the system used to build a 64bit world (including compiler), but I think this was broken again(!). So really that's the first step. I know I did fix it before.

So considering that a release is coming up, we shouldn't commit porting efforts right now. Instead I suggest using another version control system like mercurial or git, where you can commit your changes localy and also share them. There is an experimental git repository feed at <http://repo.or.cz/w/dragonfly.git> (manually updated), which you could use, like Joe did for the vkernel-mp work [1].

The reason why I am suggesting this is that it will be much easier to review your changes lateron and commit changes to sensitive parts of the kernel piecemeal, instead of shoving the whole bunch of changes in and then having a hard time to find the bugs.

Please keep us in the loop, maybe somebody can help or at least learn something! (We) guys on IRC [2] are always eager to help/ask as well.

cheers,
  simon

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/dragonfly/vkernel-mp.git
[2] EFNet/#dragonflybsd