Re: Livelock limit engaged?

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:25:57 +0200

On 2007-08-11 01:24, Dave Hayes wrote:
Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
run vmstat -i

# vmstat -i interrupt total rate clk 281783 437 atkbd0 4 0 sio0 0 0 fdc0 0 0 ppc0 18 0 acpi0/em0 0 0 uhci0 0 0 uhci1/uhci2/uhci3/twe0/fxp0/atapci1/atapci1 6766087 10506 ata0 12463 19 ata1 0 0 irq19 101 0 swi_siopoll 0 0 swi_crypto/swi_camnet 0 0 swi_cambio 0 0 swi_vm 0 0 swi_taskq 0 0 Total 7060456 10963

Ok I see the interrupt in question. (I don't suppose there is any way to
move the USB interrupts to another less used IRQ?)

   Monitor your interrupt rate with systat -vm 1
   If the interrupt rate is normal for the workload on the machine,

There's a good question. Define "normal". :) I have no idea what normal is, this is a brand new box.

Here's a vmstat -i from a production machine that is doing your basic
web/email/DNS:

# vmstat -i
interrupt                   total       rate
clk                                           784643353        281
atkbd0                                                1          0
sio0                                                  0          0
ppc0                                                  1          0
acpi0/em0                                             0          0
uhci0                                                 0          0
uhci1/uhci2/uhci3/twe0/fxp0/atapci1/atapci1    75223514         26
ata0                                              71880          0
ata1                                                  0          0
irq19                                                96          0
swi_siopoll                                           0          0
swi_crypto/swi_camnet                                 0          0
swi_cambio                                            0          0
swi_vm                                                0          0
swi_taskq                                             0          0
Total                                         859938845        308

The two machines are supposed to be identical, but obviously they
aren't. (The last one was bought recently, the previous one in April.)

If I do your systat -vm 1, I hardly see a peak interrupt rate on
the production machine, but the new machine spikes to 30-40%.

Both motherboards are D946GZIS Intel, identical as far as I can tell from the model and packaging.

Just a guess (since this is not my area) but have you checked if they have the same BIOS revision? It might be possible that the newer one have an updated BIOS.

--
Erik Wikström