Re: HAMMER filesystem update - design document

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 04:38:55 -0400

Francois Tigeot wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:33:45PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Ok, here's the final design document that I am now implementing.
    Again, I expect most or all of these features to be ready and the
    filesystem to be beta-quality by the December release.

Wow, this seems pretty good.

What about data corruption issues ?

Have you thought about implementing some sort of checksumming mechanism ?

We cannot assume hardware to be absolutely reliable. There may be some
silent corruption going on the disk or network layers, etc...

More on this in this article:
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Data_Errors_During_Drive_Communication

Quoting from Matt's announcement:

" All information in a HAMMER filesystem is CRCd to detect corruption."

'All'

So the question - if there is one - is 'how good' that check is.

Otherwise, not the fs' job.

It *must* presume a 'generally reliable' environment beyond a certain point.

Error prevention, detection, (possible) correction, and friends more properly should exist in the storage hardware, I/O, and link layers.

As they do. Or do not.

. .. just as the article you cited points out.... hardware and driver selection issues, or even suboptimal silicon.

Bill