Re: Naive HAMMER question

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:42:52 -0800 (PST)

:The character encoding has to be specified somewhere.  Do we envision
:having differently encoded filenames on the same filesystem?  Filenames
:that are encoded differently than the contents of the file itself?  Does
:the filesystem need to know if a file's contents even have an encoding?
:
:I'm sure these are very old questions, but I know little about how file-
:systems are designed because I've never designed one (and I'm glad :o)

    My personal opinion is with Bill on this one... the filesystems, and
    possibly even the kernel, should just be neutral about the whole mess
    and allow (or at least not disallow) binary encodings, which is pretty
    much how it works now.

    At most I see having a kernel layer to help userland support encodings
    but I don't see the filesystem having one, and I don't see either the
    kernel or the filesystem doing anything sophisticated.

					<dillon@backplane.com>