Re: Globbing (was Re: HAMMER update 10-Feb-2008)

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 01:25:24 +0100

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Mon, February 11, 2008 5:40 pm, Dave Hayes wrote:
One can also argue that the mechanism is broken becuase it doesn't
dynamically allocate enough memory to handle the result of an argument
expansion in these days where 64KB is not a lot of memory.

While you could easily dynamically alocate/copy this data, it opens the doors for much bigger problems: A caller could pass so much data to DoS the kernel (can be fixed), or push the callee into a low memory situation (mmap/malloc failing), exposing other problems.

And seriously, why? Just for some shell scripts which then will be incompatible with the rest of the world? Not a good idea.

We have a solution (file limit) that doesn't address the problem (rm just
doesn't work sometimes).

Wasn't one of the slogans for DragonFly "Dragging BSD Unix, kicking and
screaming, into the 21st century"?

Sorry, I don't follow you there. Could you elaborate?

cheers
  simon