Re: sendmail 8.14 has a serious memory corruption bug in it

From: Claus Assmann <dragonfly-kernel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:48:52 -0800

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008, Bill Hacker wrote:

> Off topic, but I haven't used an MTA yet (sendmail, postfix, qmail,
> courier-mta, exim) .. that checks *websites* for MX or PTR RR's.

What does that have to do with the MTA that rejected the reply?
If someone rejects mails based on some local rules, then he might
not receive a reply...

> PacBell - or any other dominant carrier/ISP, IP-block-holder - very well
> *will* enter a PTR RR in their DNS (the one that matters)

No, they don't. I asked twice. (I could explain to you why they
don't give me reverse DNS, but it seems you know better than I what
to do, so I won't bother).

> It is an embarassingly bad example that deval team members of the
> 'senior service' MTA would not heed the RFC on that issue.

Which RFC? Please tell me the number, and quote the text that my
setup violates.