Re: Buffalo/Broadcom wireless N card

From: Walter <walter@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 07:40:48 -0500

Chris Turner wrote:
Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
If you want 11n support, you can use freebsd current; It has mwl(4),

wasn't able to find a concrete reference to this in the fbsd sources - is this the correct driver name?

(cursed with a broadcom 11n card here too)

- Chris

Fwiw, I solved this using FreeBSD's 'ndis' - DF maybe ought to pull that in??

Here's my post to the FBSD Questions list giving the solution
I found (with the List's help), if you don't mind pulling in
the Windows XP driver:

The answer, maybe not the BEST answer, but the answer that
works, is to use the Windows XP driver and FBSD's 'ndis'.  My
goal was to build a FBSD router with wireless access to my COTS
wireless router to provide network access in another part of the house.

Get the driver files (.sys & .inf) either from the CD that came with
the card or from the Buffalo web site:

Then, per instructions from the Handbook (11.8.2)
run 'ndisgen' on the driver files:

# ndisgen netg300n.inf cbg300n.sys

A .ko file will be generated: cbg300n_sys.ko.  It can be loaded
using 'kldload ./cbg300n_sys.ko' but I wanted it loaded at boot.
So, as 11.8.2 says, copy this file to /boot/modules and add the
following line to /boot/loader.conf:

Also, as I wanted WPA encryption, I added two other lines to
The wireless setup instructions are in the handbook section 29;

Then in /etc/rc.conf add this:
  ifconfig_ndis0="WPA DHCP"
The device 'ndis0' is created by the ndis driver when it handles a
Windows driver.  I guess if you have more than one Windows
device and driver you get to sort out the various ndis0/1/2/3/4/5/etc.
If you don't want WPA just use "DHCP" and you don't need the
two extra lines above in loader.conf.

For WPA you need to create the WPA config file:
     ssid="<your wireless network name>"
     psk="<your personal access key>"

And then it should work.