FW: tcpcb (was Re: sockbuf (was Re: BGL-free net stack))

From: Jonathan Stuart <jstuart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:48:07 -0700

Hello,

I object to removing of IPX from DragonflyBSD.
If we want to be competitive with other operating systems (say, for instance, Linux) which do support older protocols (Like IPX/SPX) than we might as well
keep what we can.

I, myself am somewhat of an expert of IPX (I wrote several DOS TSR/Interrupt driven IPX drivers).
I personally volunteer to maintain the IPX code, but I'll only be able to do it on weekends and sometimes during weeknights, as work has been very busy lately.  I'll keep the list updated on progress.

As for the other protocols, I know nothing about them, and thus cannot maintain them, but shouldn't we leave the code in the tree while we look for someone can maintain those parts?

Regards,

Jon

jcs@vmware.com (This is my preferred e-mail address, the one you received this from was an alias because I am using Outlook Web Access).

Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: tcpcb (was Re: sockbuf (was Re: BGL-free net stack))

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Aggelos Economopoulos
<aoiko@cc.ece.ntua.gr> wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2008, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
>> On Sunday 08 June 2008, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
>> [...]
>> > Oh and if you just want to review the changes you can get the patch from
>> >
>> > http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~aggelos/A1-sockbuf.patch
>> >
>> > This won't apply to current HEAD of course.
>>
>> And the reason for that can be found at
>> http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/NetMP
>>
>> One issue I forgot to mention is that I haven't updated some obscure protocols
>> to the new interface. Do we care about ncp/ipx and friends? I very much doubt
>> anyone is using them on DragonFly, so there's a good chance they're broken in
>> HEAD too. Also, I don't know how they're supposed to work or how to set them
>> up and test them. In any case, I think it would be a waste of time. At this
>> point they are mostly a maintainance burden. Is there any objection to
>> removing them?
>
> No objection then. Should we do this before or after the release?

I suggest to move out netproto/{ns, ipx, atalk, ncp} like what we did
for the alpha port, so if someone interested to pick it again, they
still have it there.

Best Regards,
sephe

--