Re: HAMMER update 19-June-2008 (56C) (HEADS UP - MEDIA CHANGED)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:53:31 -0700 (PDT)

:Would it be possible to do that by allowing read-only volumes? So that
:hammer_blockmap_alloc() would not return space from these read-only
:volumes. Reblocking could then move the data off these volumes.
:Read-only volumes could perhaps also be used for copy-on-write
:functionality, or am I missing something?
:
:  Johannes

    That is exactly how it would work.  The allocator would have a little
    bit of code to skip past the areas we want to depopulate, and then
    reblocker would handle the rest.  Once the desired are is completely
    depopulated the partition could be shrunk or the whole volume could
    be removed.