Re: netgraph7 - not for release

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:53:42 +0300

Jeffrey Hsu wrote:
> >  FreeBSD has moved most of their ppp, atm, pppoe, and other
> > features to netgraph and ours are pretty decrepit so getting this
> > working post-release will be a big benefit to our network stack.
>
> I'm on record as saying I think we should axe netgraph completely,
> rather than updating it.  NetBSD and OpenBSD do no have netgraph
> and they have working ppp, pppoe, and atm, so clearly netgraph is
> not required for ppp, pppoe, and atm.

And for bluetooth ... In fact we have bluetooth stack from NetBSD in the
tree already.

> In fact, the big problem I have with having netgraph in our system is
> then unsuspecting newbies might think they have to use it to do their
> networking work. I've never met anyone who tried to used netgraph who
> didn't curse its very existence.

Well. As far as I can see, it has its' purpose. It might speed up
significantly prototyping work. But yes, the problem is that these
prototypes are gone into production. That's exactly what happened with a
lot of stuff using netgraph in FreeBSD.

So, I clearly prefer stuff not using netgraph, but as long as no one
stepped up and ported or implemented it, it has to stay.

--
Hasso Tepper