Re: RCS Discussion

From: Erik Wikström <Erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:56:27 +0200

On 2008-08-08 13:17, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On Fri, August 8, 2008 04:22, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
>> I meant to type this earlier: a requirement of whatever RCS system we may
>>  move to would be to enable non-developers to easily check out the code
>> to rebuild their system.
>
> Absolutely.  I'd like to take this a step further:  Mailing patches and
> explaining users how to apply the patch ("first revert patch #3, then
> apply this, then apply patch #3a") is bothersome.  I'd like to be able to
> push my changes somewhere (like on a leaf "official private repo") and
> have people pull the changes from there.
>
>> This would mean anonymous access and having the utility as part of base.
>> There may be a better strategy; I'm thinking in terms of the functionality
>>  we use now with CVS and cvsup.
>
> I absolutely do not think that the tool has to be part of base.  cvsup is
> not part of base either.  An existing pkgsrc binary package on the iso
> shoud suffice.

If you want normal users to be able to pull patches from some "official
private repo" the RCS would have to be in base. Or the repo would be
able to generate the patches so they were downloadable via HTTP/FTP (but
then again it would probably require steps like backing out one patch
and then applying a new).

--
Erik Wikström